It's Our 40th Anniversary!
We're excited to celebrate our 40th Anniversary and we couldn't have done it without you! Thank you for your continued support as we look forward to our future together!
We Kicked Off With A Big Bang
In 1983 we launched our first Scratch game, $1 Instant Money Made From Scratch. We were so excited that we kicked things off by sponsoring an event at the D&F Tower in Denver at the 16th Street Mall where we threw hundreds of tickets off of the top of the building to all of the attendees below. The event was a huge success and there was so much excitement, and needless to say, a little bit of chaos. It actually resulted in the City of Denver passing an ordinance prohibiting businesses from ever planning anything like that again!
Games and More Games
After starting with only one $1 Scratch game in the market, we eventually offered two in 1986. On our 10th anniversary in 1993 a $2 Scratch game was introduced, and in the year 2000, we had a $3 Scratch game added to the mix. Eventually we added $5, $10, $20 and $50 games, and in commemoration of our 40th Anniversary, we're offering a $40 40th Anniversary game with an instant top prize of $40,000 that also offers a second-chance Bonus Draw for $40,000!
In 1989 we offered our first Jackpot game Lotto and it was so successful that we made almost $1 million in the first week of sales! Then in 1991 we offered Keno... bet you didn't know that... but it wasn't successful and was discontinued. In 1996 Cash 5 with a top jackpot prize of $20,000 was introduced. In the year 2000, Colorado voters approved the Lottery's participation in multi-state games which followed with Powerball being offered to players in 2001. From there, we grew the Jackpot games category to include Mega Millions, Lucky for Life, and our in-state game, Pick 3.
Winning, Winning, Winning
Colorado Lottery players have won over $9.9 billion over the past 40 years! Check out our winners' stories.
- The Lottery has produced approximately 1,400 games since it's inception in 1983 offering top instant prizes starting at $1 all the way up to $3 million!
- In 2000, the Lottery introduced its first extended play game: $3 Mouse Maze and was followed by a $3 crossword game a few months later. Crossword games are very popular among our players.
- Each year around the holiday season, we offer novel holiday games with Bonus Draws associated with them. This year, BRG from Arvada won a wopping $250,000 playing Holiday Delights/Ritzy Riches.
- Batman wins $3 million in 2021 in our second-chance $50 Series III drawing and Kenneth J wins $3 million in 2019 and Paul M's family in 2017.
- In 1992 Kim W. wins $27 million playing Lotto, the largest Lotto jackpot in Colorado history.
- In 2000, Sharon R. of Denver won $21 million playing Lotto.
- There have been two winners in Colorado who have won the top prize for Lucky for Life, $1,000 a day for the rest of their lives.
- The Magnificent 9 wins $1 million playing Mega Millions in an office pool in 2018.
- On one night in 2020, we had six winning Cash 5 tickets sold worth $20,000 each
- In 2022, a Crazy Cat Lady won half of a huge $25 million Colorado Lotto+ jackpot.