Mega Millions Jackpot Continues to Soar
Mega Millions Jackpot Continues to Soar
DENVER, December 13, 2013– No one hit Tuesday night’s $344 million multi-state Mega Millions jackpot, making Friday night’s mega-jackpot drawing worth $425 million! The winning ticket will be worth an estimated $229.2 million in cash. The Mega Millions jackpot is the accumulation of 20 consecutive drawings without a top prize winner. The current jackpot run-up started on October 4 as a $12 million grand prize.
Friday's Mega Millions jackpot currently stands as the 5th-largest lottery jackpot of all time in the United States. That position may rise before the drawing Friday night, as lotteries are typically conservative in their initial estimates, and brisk sales may push the jackpot estimate higher by draw time.
- Mega Millions: $656 million, Mar. 30, 2012 - Illinois, Kansas, Maryland
- Powerball: $590.5 million, May 18, 2013 - Florida
- Powerball: $587.5 million, Nov. 28, 2012 - Arizona, Missouri
- Powerball: $448.4 million, Aug. 7, 2013 - Minnesota, New Jersey (2)
- Mega Millions: $425 million, Dec. 13, 2013 - Preliminary estimate, not won yet
- Powerball: $399.4 million, Sep. 18, 2013 - South Carolina
- Mega Millions: $390 million, Mar. 6, 2007 - Georgia, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $380 million, Jan. 4, 2011 - Idaho, Washington
- Powerball: $365 million, Feb. 18, 2006 - Nebraska
- The Big Game: $363 million, May 9, 2000 - Illinois, Michigan
- Powerball: $340 million, Oct. 19, 2005 - Oregon
- Powerball: $338.3 million, Mar. 23, 2013 - New Jersey
- Powerball: $337 million, Aug. 15, 2012 - Michigan
- Powerball: $336.4 million, Feb. 11, 2012 - Rhode Island
- Mega Millions: $336 million, Aug. 28, 2009 - California, New York
- The Big Game: $331 million, Apr. 16, 2002 - Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey
- Mega Millions: $330 million, Aug. 31, 2007 - Maryland, New Jersey, Texas, Virginia
- Mega Millions: $319 million, Mar. 25, 2011 - New York
- Mega Millions: $315 million, Nov. 15, 2005 - California
- Powerball: $314.9 million, Dec. 25, 2002 - West Virginia
- Powerball: $314.3 million, Aug. 25, 2007 - Indiana
- Powerball: $295.7 million, Jul. 29, 1998 - Indiana
- Powerball: $295 million, Aug. 25, 2001 - Delaware, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Hampshire
- Mega Millions: $294 million, Jul. 2, 2004 - Massachusetts
- Powerball: $276.3 million, Mar. 15, 2008 - West Virginia
Fun Facts about current $425 MIL jackpot:
The Mega Millions jackpot has grown to a jaw-dropping $425 million! If you stacked up all of that cash into a perfect cube, each side would reach 25 feet tall!
The Mega Millions Jackpot is a whopping $425 million! That's enough dollar bills to wrap around the entire planet at the equator!
$425 million jackpot is second largest ever in Mega Millions, and fifth-largest ever in North America.
Since 2010 Mega Millions has contributed approximately $28.7 million supporting our state's parks, recreation and open space areas, conservation education and wildlife projects! In the same time frame, over $42.3 million was paid out in prizes resulting from sales in Colorado!
$425M in dollar bills would fill two standard size train cars.
If you melted down $425M in quarters, you'd have more than enough metal to construct the Eiffel Tower.
$425M in pennies could fill 7 Olympic sized swimming pools, or 9 Boeing 747’s (or 2 swimming pools with nickels).
$425M stacked up would reach slightly higher than the Red Bull Stratos parachute jump (highest ever recorded).
$425M in $100 bills would fill 2 Volkswagen Beetles.
Effective on October 19, 2013, several changes were made to the Mega Millions game with larger and faster-growing jackpots, better overall odds of winning any prize, increased second-level prizes, and more excitement. The game now has a starting jackpot of $15 million and second-level prizes ranging from $1 to $1,000,000. Jackpot odds have increased from 1 in 176 million to 1 in 259 million and overall odds went from 1 in 40 to 1 in 15.
Players can multiply wins up to 5 times the original amount by purchasing the Megaplier for $1 more (excluding jackpot). The Megaplier option multiplies all prizes, except the jackpot, by the multiplier number, either 2, 3, 4, or 5, as drawn by the Lottery. Players who purchase the Megaplier option will win the higher prizes when they have a winning match in the Mega Millions game.
Mega Millions is currently offered for sale in 43 states, plus Washington, D.C. and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Tickets cost $1 each. Mega Millions drawings are held on Tuesdays and Fridays at 9 p.m. MDT, tickets must be purchased by 7:30 p.m. on the day of the drawing.
About Colorado Lottery
Proceeds from the Colorado Lottery’s games – Lotto, Cash 5, Pick 3, Mega Millions, Powerball and Scratch - stay in Colorado to improve the quality of life in the state. The Lottery has returned more than $2.5 billion to the state of Colorado since it was established. Through Great Outdoors Colorado, the Conservation Trust Fund and Colorado State Parks, the Lottery has provided funding for new trails, precious open space and wildlife protection. For more information, visit www.coloradolottery.com.
PHONE 303.759.6846 | CELL 303.945.9724